Stretton-on-Dunsmore is an old Warwickshire village with a population of approximately 1200. It is located just off the A45 (London Road) and the B4455 (Fosse Way, on Dunsmore Heath. The name of the village is believed to be Anglo-Saxon “straet tun on dun mor”, literally meaning “village on the road on the hill on the heath”. By the 15th century Stretton had grown from the original hamlet into an established Village with its own Church and Manor House.
It is quite certain that there has been a church in the Village for 800 years. The current Anglican church, All Saints, being consecrated in 1837. There is a footpath linking All Saints with Princethorpe village known as ‘Coffin Walk’ as it is the route that the Catholics of the village took to reach the burial ground at the entrance to Princethorpe College and Our Lady of the Angels’ Chapel.
Stretton-on-Dunsmore today has a thriving community and is well served by a general store/Post Office, a modern doctors surgery, an outstanding primary school, two pubs; The Oak & Black Dog and The Shoulder of Mutton. It’s pleasant centre has a small brook and green and a traditional village hall. On the outskirts of the village a monument stands on the traffic island at the intersection of the London Road and Fosse Way which commemorates King George V reviewing the troops of the 29th Division at Knightlow Hill in March 1915.